April 27, 2015
Friday night 17 million people watched "Bruce Jenner: The Interview” on ABC. In the much anticipated interview, Bruce revealed that he identifies as a woman and is undergoing transition. Although People and Us magazine have been speculating for a while, the news still shocked some.
So, what exactly did Bruce say during this interview? A number of things. Here are some of the most important quotes.
1. “For all intents and purposes, I am a woman.”
2. “The one real true story in the family was at the one I was hiding and nobody knew about.”
3. “What I’m doing is going to do some good. And we’re going to change the world.”
4. “I’m not saying goodbye to people’s perception of me and who I am. I’m not saying goodbye to me, because this has always been me.”
5. “I look at women all the time and think how lucky are they that they can wake in the morning and be themselves."
6. “I just can’t hold the curtain any longer. Bruce lives a lie. She is not a lie.”
7. “To be able to have my nail polish on long enough that it actually chips off.” One of Bruce’s goals for the future.
8. “Asexual… for now.” Bruce on his current sexuality.
9. “If she had been really good with it and understanding, we would probably still be together.” Bruce commented on his relationship with Kris, stressing that he is attracted to women and also identifies as a woman.
10. "I call her 'Her.'" He doesn't have have a name for her yet. Just 'Her.' And he wasn't going to give a name to Diane because he said the media would eat it alive and would make it permanent.
Lots of celebrities are praising Bruce for his bravery and honesty, including Demi Lovato who randomly dedicated a song to him at her concert in New Zealand and Lena Dunham who instagrammed about it. Other supporters include Miley Cyrus, Ellen DeGeneres and the entire Jenner-Kardashian Klan - who jumped on Twitter to support Bruce.
Other things to know:
But also this happened:
Apparently Kim has been the most supportive, saying: "Girl, you gotta rock it and you gotta look good. If you're doing this thing, I'm helping you."
Bruce hopes that the interview will inspire others and raise awareness about the trans community.